Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Walk a Mile in Women's Shoes

I recently watched a television program on gender-reassignment surgery. The program centered around several men who were undergoing surgery to become women. Although it wasn't the focus of the program, I found insight into their experiences in the world...first as men, then as women.
One story I found particularly relevant to our discussion of gender and law was from a man named Nick. He was a handsome man before he began taking female hormones - he then became a beautiful woman as well! Nick ended up changing his name to Christine. Before her reassignment surgery, she was a corporate attorney in a very successful law firm up north. Nick was married and had two young children. At some point, he decided to be his authentic self all the time and began making plans to become a woman. Although his wife supported his decision, they eventually divorced. Nick continued working at the law firm until he began taking female hormones. He then made a move to California to begin his life anew as Christine.
Christine was undoubtedly a tall female - but she didn't look as though she used to be a man. If I had seen Christine on the street I never would have guessed that she had been born male. Christine soon began to look for a job as an attorney doing the same type of work she had been doing in her previous job. One thing she was not prepared for was how the corporate world treats women.
Christine stated that even those who did not know she had previously been a man would attempt to talk her out of applying for a job at their firm, or simply tell her they were not interested. This was surprising because she told them of her extensive previous experience in the field. It was her opinion that these jobs were being refused to her because she was a woman. No law firm wanted to hire a woman - even though they did not come right out and say so.
The one statement that struck me most of all was made at the end of her story. Christine stated, "I had the world at my fingertips when I was a white male. Now that I am a woman simply proving my basic competency is a daily battle."
I hope that Christine will use her experience to educate others on the discrimination that still takes place against women (in the corporate world, especially). Christine ended up taking an entry level government job - for which she said she was overqualified.
I found great comfort in her story. I wish all men would walk a mile in women's shoes...though I fear most of them would break their ankles!

No comments: