Monday, April 28, 2008

You've Come A Long Way, Baby

As I prepare for the final for this class, I am struck again on how often it has seemed like htere was no real answer to problems and situations presented by the various topics we covered. Over and over again, it seems, we would hit upon a problem and come to the conclusion that the only way to truly solve the problem would be to end discrimination against women. So much of the time it seems like time and education are the only real solutions - hopefully we are rasing our children with different attitudes than the ones we grew up with and hopefully our children will act differently as a result. I wonder, however, if this is really the case. While it does sometimes seem like children are growing up around fewer instances of out-and-out prejudice/discrimination, is this indeed enough? I think that belief systems are exceddingly slow to evolve and change - and this is depressing. Before this class I think I would have agreed with the statement "You've come a long way, baby" but now I am not so sure that I would. I think we may have come a long way but we still have a long way to go.

No comments: