Friday, February 15, 2008

Female Ref Barred from Calling Game

http://sports.aol.com/story/_a/female-ref-barred-from-calling-game/20080214091409990001

I don't know if anyone else saw this, but I thought it was blog-worthy. The ref couldn't be in this game because of the academy's religious beliefs that a woman should not be in a place of authority over boys. Wow. I know this is a Catholic school and is quite different from a public institution, but wow. This is discrimination, without a doubt, but my confusion is from the fact that a religious school is behind the activity. The state really isn't involved at all. But, this is still so wrong! I guess I could go through the full analysis, but this is so blatantly unjust! I know that everyone has the freedom of religious beliefs, but there are other schools involved in these games--schools that do not ascribe to the same beliefs.

No comments: