Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Ramblings of a Sickie

For the past several days, I have been laid up in bed stricken with that awful flu bug.  My major accomplishments have been turning the TV on and off.  With a 100 degree fever and blankets piled so high I could barely see the TV over them, I managed to come to the realization that Women & the Law has ruined the simplicity of television for me.  The other night I was laying in bed listening to an episode of MASH (that's right I didn't even bother trying to keep my head up to see the actual show), and all I could think of was, my gosh I cannot believe the gender roles they are portraying here.  Its really amusing because in this episode the lead woman's paramour wanted her to where pretty dresses and make his food for him and she fought back against this notion of a woman's duties.  I originally thought, hey that's cool this show was progressive in trying to shatter traditional notions of gender.  But, I then proceeded to think back about other episodes and came to realize what a gendered nightmare this show actually is.  The strong female lead who has attained the rank of major is nicknamed Hotlips, shows masculine characteristics as we might say in class, and is hyper sexual.  All, other women on the show are basically sex toys.  Not exactly my ideal portrayal of women. So now, even while delirious with fever, I cannot seem to watch a simple comedy TV show for pleasure. No, I must pick apart every little aspect of those 22 minutes.  So I ask you, does anyone remember when TV was just something fun to watch before law school corrupted your viewing habits? 

No comments: