Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What would Saint Valentine think?

Since Valentine's day is getting closer, I have noticed that there are more sexist commercials on television. The commercials are all about buying women flowers and diamonds and big teddy bears. So if men are being encouraged to be generous, why am I so offended?
I thought that Valentine's day was about celebrating love. Love that is equally shared between men and women, and even parents and children, and between friends. So why is the media focused in on getting "your girl" exactly what she wants? What she wants of course is expensive, flashy, and material. Women never want to spend quality time, uninterrupted with their loved one's according to the media (except for maybe sex--as the KY commercial tells us).
Why aren't there commercials about what to get men for Valentine's day? I have yet to see one, but I'm sure there is at least one.
This morning I noticed a sexist Valentine's day event in the wierdest place, my son's cartoon, The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I only saw the last 10 minutes, but that was enough for me to be shocked. Mickey had spent the whole show making a Valentine's day present for Minnie. (no problem yet) Then at the end Mickey gives his present to Minnie, with Donald and Daisy right there. Daisy turns to Donald and asks him if he forgot anything, Donald says no (but he has no present for Daisy). So Daisy throws a hissy fit, and tells Donald that he is mean or something to that effect. (this is a little offensive, that Daisy needs a present to not throw a hissy fit) What really got me was when Mickey used his last Mousekatool to make Daisy a bow for her hair that Donald could give her. Donald gives her the gift and she calms down and is all happy again. And the icing on the cake is at the very end when Mickey says that he made the bow and not Donald. Daisy "goes off" about how Donald didn't make it, and then says "but, its OK, I love my bow". This to me stereotyped women as materialistic, who need men to give them presents to be happy. And the worst part of the whole event was that my first thought after being shocked was "at least I don't have a daughter learning this lesson." I'm kicking myself, that I thought it was OK for my son to learn this.

No comments: